Useful links to other websites
We have an ever-growing list (over 300!) of links to all sorts of sites which we hope you will find interesting and useful. If you find any of the links don't work then please tell us.
We do check sites before we link to them, but please remember that the contents of sites outside our own are not our responsibility.
The links are organised under the following headings:
Miscellaneous Sites — including commercial sites.
Legal requirements for owners of websites
Virtually every commercial website in the UK, whether selling online or not, is covered by the Government's E-commerce Regulations which were introduced in 2002. Broadly, they require the following:
- The name, geographic address and email address of the website owner must be included on the site. It's not sufficient to include a 'contact us' form without also providing an email address and geographic address somewhere easily accessible on the site. A PO Box is unlikely to suffice as a geographic address; but a registered office address would. If the business is a company, the registered office address must be included.
- If a company, the company's registration number should be given and, under the Companies Act, the place of registration should be stated (e.g. 'ABC Enterprises Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 987654').
- If the business is a member of a trade or professional association, membership details, including any registration number, should be provided.
- If the business has a VAT number, it should be stated — even if the website is not being used for e-commerce transactions.
- Prices on the website must be clear and unambiguous. Also, it should be clear whether prices are inclusive of tax and delivery costs.
For more information, visit the Out-law.com website.